Thursday, February 5, 2009

Seniors with Guns

We went to a funeral yesterday for my uncle in Koosharem, Utah. The weather was nice, it was good to see family, and it was great to hear about all the things my uncle did to affect those around him. He was a good and respected man.

We went to the gravesite, and because he served in the the military during the Korean War, he had military honors at his funeral. It was an interesting thing ...

First, the cute old men were treating their gun more like a cane or walking stick than a weapon.



Second, after a bit of music was played, the group prepared to shoot the guns in the honorary salute. Although most aimed over a 45 degree angle, two of them had a hard time lifting the guns that high. I was assured there were blanks in the gun, but couldn't help duck as they took their shots. The two low-aiming gentlemen probably would have barely cleared the canopy if there had been bullets. Barely.

The first shot startled the shooter on the right, who jumped. And immediately all the babies began to cry.



Third, my brother enjoyed overhearing a conversation among the men who were trying to decide where the safety on the gun was actually located.

And last, as we were preparing to return to the church, we were all saluted again. We turned to see that the men were loading the guns into the back of someone's truck, where they accidentally let off two shots. And then the babies began to cry.

"I guess they're right, old people, though slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose."
--- Lloyd Christmas, Dumb and Dumber

2 comments:

Sandstone Writings said...

I laughed so much when I read this even though I'm sorry your uncle passed away. I could really visualize it as I read your post. Hope all is well with everyone.

Heather said...

Sorry about your uncle. What an experience at the funeral! Great pics!