Thursday, March 6, 2008

Ceti Eel

Matt loves the beach. I have recently (the last few years) come to discover why, since I've spent a little more time there than in the past.

I enjoy the sand between my toes, the mist, and the sound of the water. I don't care if the water is cold; I'll walk in it. Matt enjoys these things, too, but he doesn't like walking in the cold water. One thing that Matt likes most is the creatures he finds.

I'm not as fond of the creatures. I have visions (that I have to ignore) of crawly creatures with pincers inches below my bare feet, ready to pounce ... or do whatever it is that they do. I'm also pretty afraid of jelly fish, and I always find dead ones on the beach! Consequently, I'm always walking barefoot with my head down, scanning the sand for rocks, shells, bones, dead things, and live crawly creatures. I don't want to step on any of those things.

This is from a trip to Cannon Beach, Oregon in July 2006. I hate the sound of my voice (it sounds terribly high), but you can hear how brave I am being throughout this entire experience.



What does this remind me of?

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan ... Khan employs the small offspring of a nasty indigenous animal (known to fans as the "Ceti Eel") to control Chekov and Terrell and forces them to reveal the details of their mission, and the whereabouts of Admiral Kirk.

4 comments:

My name is Andrea said...

I love Cannon Beach. It is one of my absolute favorite beaches ever! And I also ditto the walking on the beach feeling...the water and the beach give me the creeps thinking what lies beneath! But I love walking in it!

BakerBloggers-Matt & Jenny said...

what is that thing in your hand? I don't mind some things, but all in all I'd rather let nature stay in nature. Beaches are really fun. I prefer ones next to oceans in the 80 degree range (Hawaii comes to mind). You'll have to let us know how you enjoy that beach!
Jenny

Heather said...

The beach is just fabulous! When you go to Australia, you'll have to do the beaches in Perth. You'll think you're in heaven!

P.S. For some reason I can see the video. Darn!

Sandstone Writings said...

I love the ocean and beaches. In 2006, I was in Holyhead in Wales. When we were driven to the ocean I almost cried. It was incredible to stand on rocks beside the Irish Sea. For me, it is as if the ocean brings out a part of my soul that I only connect with when I am there. Maybe it's universal or maybe it's because I was born a "California girl"!