Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Culture

Culture fascinates me. I don't feel like I emit a culture, just like I don't feel that I have an accent when I speak. It's interesting to me that those around us make us aware of our culture or accent. Those differences then bring us together or push us apart as religions, communities, nationalities, etc. At this point I could turn this into a philosophical discussion, which is not the intent.
I'm still addicted to Bollywood movies, and the addiction is worsening. With each movie I see, I am eager to watch more, understand more, and stay up later! (Yawn .... stretch!) My obsession has taken a turn and now I've begun reading the Bollywood news!

Things we are familiar with in the U.S. that are associated with Hollywood include paparazzi, anorexic women, and addictions. Bollywood doesn't have a lot of buzz about anorexia (and their women look fabulous, so definately no need), not a lot about paparazzi that they complain about, and nothing that I've seen about addictions.

Bollywood doesn't appreciate it when actors (for both men and women are actors) are rude, to regular people or other actors. If they are, it spreads like wildfire and it seems it can kill their career. There are also a lot of moral codes, for example kissing in movies is currently taboo. I read an article today, which tells of another thing that Bollywood has that Hollywood does not. This is a perfect example of why culture, and right now specifically Indian culture, is so wonderfully fascinating to me:

"Self-appointed moral police of the public behaviour of celebrities and guardians of Indian culture and morals closely watch television and films and read newspapers from beginning to end, waiting to pounce on violations of public decency and codes of patriotism.
The minute they see this, they head to the nearest judicial magistrate's court to file a Public Interest Litigation.

What makes them so concerned? According to noted journalist Balmiki Chatterjee, it brings instant fame. Most of them are lawyers -- and their legal practice gets a boost. If you want to see your name flashed in newspaper headlines and news channels, and you want to be photographed in court in the company of an Indian celebrity, the shortest route is to file a PIL against them on any ground, flimsy or otherwise.

A PIL does not necessarily have to be linked to a violation of the codes of 'decency' as perceived by the angry litigant. It could be as personal as Aishwarya Rai being asked to marry a tree before marrying Abhishek Bachchan to ward off some astrological mischance. Sruti Singh filed a PIL at the Patna High Court demanding a public apology from Amitabh Bachchan, Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai. Their crime? Aishwarya, said to be a Manglik that apparently heralds bad luck to the prospective groom, had to marry a peepul tree in Benares, a plantain tree in Bangalore and a Hindu deity in Ayodhya. Singh accused the Bachchans of giving importance to and promoting superstitious practices in violation of Article 17 of the Indian Constitution."

Wow! There is pretty much NOTHING in that statement to which I am familiar, and it makes me wonder if I'm living in the same world! I want to understand these beliefs and customs. There definately is a big world out there to try to comprehend!

No comments: