Thursday, July 31, 2008

Soapbox #2

Snopes.com


Heard of it?


Two reasons why Snopes.com should be your best friend:

  1. Consider the upcoming election. It's always good to verify information you receive in order to discover a truer picture. This story, for example, that I've received in my inbox a couple of times this week.
  2. Consider people before forwarding that email! You know the email that I'm talking about. The one that made you sweat when you ready it. The one about needing to register your cell phone? Or your house burning down? Yea, those ones. I got them .... a few times. Don't need 'em anymore. Especially since they're a load of ....

However, if you first check snopes and find out that the email that's been around the world and is now in your inbox is VALID, send it on! I'll be glad to read it.

You'll find that the true story is often more interesting than the made-up one. For example, this story about the Monkee's Mike Nesmith.

Oh, and the ones that say "checked on Snopes and it's true" at the top. Make sure you double-check those ones. I'm getting those lately and .... what was that? They're false!? They lied? Say it's not true!

... stepping down off of the soap box. Thank you.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I love Snopes too, but I often forget about fact checking. Good reminder! I'm sure I'm guilty of propagating. Oopsies.