Thursday, September 6, 2007

Budding Interests

It's silly, but I am currently addicted to Bollywood movies!

My new obsession started slowly. A couple years ago I watched Bend It Like Beckham, and not too long after I watched Bride & Prejudice, both directed by Gurinder Chadha.

More recently I started looking into movies starring Aishwarya Rai, which led me to Dhoom 2. Anyhow, watching Dhoom 2 led me to Dhoom, Kabul Express, and last night I watched Veer-Zaara. It's official; I am hooked!

Obsessed? I actually bought Dhoom 2. Hrithik Roshan is an amazing dancer! I downloaded the soundtrack from Dhoom and Dhoom 2 from iTunes, and am going to see if they have the soundtrack for Veer-Zaara tonight. I also have two new movies on hold through my local Ruth V. Tyler Library. One is called Kabhi khushi kabhie gham and the other is Lakshya. I'm hoping for some more Hrithik dancing! (See You Tube Video below.)





Where do I go from here? I guess my obsession will continue until I get tired of the dancing, or my eyes start to hurt from reading the TV. I'll keep you posted!

Interesting thing about Bollywood movies:
About 5-10% of the movie is in English. They throw English words or sentences in here and there. It's crazy to be reading along, and then realize they actually said what was written on the screen! My favorite is in Dhoom, when ACP Jai Dixit says "jail, sweet, jail". Also, Dhoom has one song where they sing in Hindi, English, and Spanish. Trippy!

Funny thought: I think I will fall over if Heather is watching Bollywood movies. We seem to pick up the same unusual hobbies at the same time, unbeknownst to the other!

Second language: Do you think if I watch/read enough movies, I'll start to understand/speak Hindi?

1 comment:

Heather said...

Okay, Charnae -- be ready to fall off your chair (or whatever you are currently sitting on) because I saw both the Bend-itand then the musical Bride and Prejudice and LOVED them! I haven't seen any other Bollywood movies - but my love of those movies, along with the testimonial from you makes me anxious to check more of them out. This is awesome!