Thursday, September 11, 2008

Patriot Day

Today is Patriot Day. We won't say to people in greeting, "Happy Patriot Day" - no, that feels painful. Nor will anyone have the day off, and the day before invite people to "Have a good Patriot Day."

No, it's not a "holiday", but I guess this is how they can start.

Memorial Day ... a day to think of deceased loved ones, or an extra day for a weekend vacation?
Martin Luther King Day ... we don't sit around thinking about this man's great deeds all day long, but gradually more and more companies are taking the day off. And furniture companies are advertising sales!

President's Day ...
Labor Day ...

I'm not complaining! I love to have the day off to spend with family, and yes the people that came before me helped to make that possible, and I'm sure that's what they would want me to be doing! So, I'm not bagging on our holiday activities one bit.

I just wonder what Patriot Day will be in 50-years or 100-years. Will it become a holiday? Or will it stay more like Pearl Harbor Day?

What do you think? Do you think on September 11, when I'm 80 years old that I might be sitting with family on a boat since everyone has the day off?

1 comment:

Heather said...

Cool post. It reminds me about how Jake and I were talking about how 9-11 is the JFK shooting for our generation . . . we all know where we were. I can't believe it's been 7 years . . .