Friday, March 14, 2008

Fear

First, I have to say that this is my 100th post! That's kind of embarassing. I really can't believe I've done that many ....

Second, I have to say afer the last 5 posts, which were practically novels, I had decided I wouldn't put anything on here for awhile.

However, at work today I walked past the elevator. The doors were propped open and the floor of the elevator was at eye level. I jumped an scurried away. My heart was racing for the next few minutes.

I have fears associated with elevators.

Since I was very little I have never liked dark holes - like elevators or mining shafts. Or the roof access at Fashion Place Mall that was located in a side hallway. I would cry when my parents would walk under it. Seriously - even looking at this picture makes me scared, nervous, sick, etc.



It's true that if I fell into a shaft like Baby Jessica that I would die of fright. Don't worry about trying to dig me out.

For my fears to kick in, the situation has to be just right .... for example, I did go down the deep, deep, deep shaft at the Park City Silver mine. I did it three times, and I was fine. If the lift had somehow plummeted to the bottom (and I'd lived) and there were no lights, I would have panicked. I maybe would panic just as much if there were lights. If I was there alone, I would be curled in a ball, crying, with my eyes closed.

While working at the Kearns Building downtown in 1996, I would take the elevator to the 7th floor where I worked. Once the elevator stopped unexpectedly to blackness. Twilight Zone!

My eyes adjusted and I could see a few boxes by the elevator doors. Thank goodness I was with another person. I probably would have started screaming uncontrollably. That person explained that there was a floor between 1 and 2 that was used just for storage, and occasionally it would accidentally open on that floor.

From that point on, anytime I took that elevator alone I would face the back until I knew I had passed that floor. It only happened one other time, and I was with a group of people. Phew!

Elevators have an agenda of their own and aren't to be trusted!

3 comments:

Heather said...

I loved reading this post! That totally is a scary pic of the inside of an elevator shaft. I love how elevators are personified - so awesome!

BakerBloggers-Matt & Jenny said...

OK hello. Of course you are scared of that picture, who wouldn't be. And for those of us who have never been afraid of elevators, thank you Charnae for giving us a reason to be.
I will never again ride in an elevator without thinking "what if this thing plummets forever down into the darkness where we crash and either die or agonize painfully while awaiting rescue"...
Jenny

Sandstone Writings said...

I think it is amazing that you have posted 100 times--you deserve congratulations! Don't you just hate those irrational fears? I loved the way you described your feelings--the origin and ongoing experiences. Glad you posted again!