Monday, March 10, 2008

Lobster Dave

During my singles ward days, in my ward there were a lot of Daves. We (Heather, Robert, and I ... and a few close ward friends) gave them different names to sort them out. There was Teacher Dave, Dave F, CD Dave, and Lobster Dave.

The first time I met fair-skinned Lobster Dave, he had accidentally spent too much time in the sun without sunscreen. He was painfully red ... thus, we called him Lobster Dave.

He was a few weeks - probably 3-4 - from going on his mission. When he asked me out on a date, I felt pretty comfortable that things couldn't go far in that amount of time and figured it would be fun to hang out.

CANYON CONFESSIONAL:
Our first date we were going hiking. We drove up the canyon and he parked the car near Mill B. Instead of getting out of the car to start our hike, he started talking. Whatever; I didn't really care.

During our talk, he told me things that he had taken care of with his bishop in order to go on his mission. Then he told me a few things that he had slipped on since then and asked my opinion if he should talk to his bishop about them again.

I felt completely uncomfortable, advised him yes, and made some logical excuse to end the date early. He didn't feel uncomfortable, and it seemed that confiding in me had increased his interest.

Some time went by and I avoided the situation. I didn't like to hurt people, and it seemed that it was a short acquaintance anyhow. I was just trying to get through those 3-4 weeks.

Somehow I agreed to another date, which turned into a group thing. Great! The group thing turned into Dave, myself, and my friend Karen going to a movie. Fine. Karen had seen the movie, so it turned into making cookies at her house. Whatever. Karen had a major crush on Dave, thus ...

THREE'S-A-CROWD-COOKIE-COOKOFF:
I drove in Dave's car to Karen's house. I pretty much sat in the living room watching TV while they baked away!

"Check this out!" I said, half-way through their gathering-ingredients-extravaganza!

They came in and watched OJ Simpson in the white Bronco on the freeway. Then they resumed the baking and realized they were missing a key ingredient. I volunteered to walk home (only two blocks) and bring some back. Dave resisted, but I insisted.

I got home and hung out with my family as long as politely possible, turning on the TV so they could see OJ. Then I got in my parents car (I was a smart one, huh.) and drove back to Karen's.

We finished making cookies, ate some, and watched something.

Time for me to leave. Dave walked outside and told me he was sad I brought the car because he wanted to drive me home. Since we didn't have a "real date" he suggested we get together the next night? the next? the next? It appeared I was busy every night before he had to leave town. He went in for .... yea, and it smoothly turned into a hug.

He stopped by a few nights later in between my work and school to bring me a gift.

FAREWELL:
My other friend Janice asked me to go with her to his farewell and I agreed. Walking down the isle to take my seat, he came down from the stand and rushed at me excitedly. His family followed. His parents greeted me and it was clear I had been discussed at home. His little sister looked up at me with giddy eyes.

We took a seat, toward the back. His sister remarked during her talk that she was proud of her brother for being such a good example and going on his mission, although he could have stayed home because of a girl.

Clearly not me!?

During his talk, he stared down at me, and reaching the end of his talk stated that he had met someone for which it was hard for him to leave, and how he was eagerly looking forward to spending more time with that person in two years. Yes, still looking at me.

What it the world was happening? I didn't even know this person!

We left the farewell quickly. Didn't stop by the house. He dropped by once before going to the MTC, but I wasn't home. I didn't write to him. He didn't write to me.

Two years later he called my house, just home from his mission. He talked to my mom. I was freshly engaged, and she told him. My mom suggested that I call him, just to be nice. I decided not to.

He didn't call again.

3 comments:

My name is Andrea said...

Yes, I too have been the victim of the boy going on a mission who desperately wants to have someone at home waiting for him even if only in his mind...it is kinda sad, isn't it?
Almost as fun as the friend who arrives on his mission and begins to feel romantically about you and writes so...

I'm happy to be an adult now.

Sandstone Writings said...

What a clever way to post this ongoing saga. How wise that you decided not to call.

Heather said...

This is like the several phased story that you were telling me about . . . on the edge of my seat even though I know the end! :-) It's just a hard life when you're as cute as you are!