Friday, May 23, 2008

DAY 11

Day 11 we were out about 7:30am and driving to Hana. It was a rainy day on that side of the island. Look at the affect that all that rain and humidity has on the road signs. They all look like this.




It is very jungly on the road to Hana.





I thought this was funny in one of the small towns.




We drove down this road to visit an arboretum, but ended up not going all the way.




I wish these would grow in my yard.




We stopped at Wai'anapanapa Black Sand Beach and took a couple pictures. It is so pretty here.



And we hiked down to the Wai'anapanapa Caves that have a very interesting story.




Here's the cave. I was so brave! I can't tell you have nervous things like this make me.




And I took some plant pictures on the way out of the park. Isn't this so pretty?!




We decided that we really didn't want to spend the full day driving in the rain! So, we started driving back to the sunny side of the island.




I just love the bridges over here.



Another abandoned car.





We walked down into the Keanae Arboretum.




Here's more about it.




This is evidence of one of my favorite trees ... the blue marble tree from Australia.




Here's Matt holding a "marble".



These are an unusual variation of a palm tree. They were so tall and I think their foliage looks like a wagon wheel.





These are a type of eucalyptus tree. I LOVED them.




I don't remember what plant this is. We were being eaten by mosquitos at this point of the walk.




On our way out, Matt spotted this abandoned car.




I love the areas of bamboo forrest. They look like fluffy green cottonballs.



Another abandoned car.




We were back in Kihei by noon and grabbed lunch at Da Kitchen. I had wonderful Tempura Tuna and Matt got the Hawaiian Plate. Again.


Then we went to our favorite Po'olenalena Beach again. The parking lot was under construction and we often wondered if that was why it wasn't as busy.




We spent almost 4 hours in the water playing in the waves. At about the 1-hour mark we started noticing turtles popping up around us. They were playing in the waves, too! They were hanging out with us the entire time.


About the 2-hour mark, we were watching a turtle about 15-feet from us, when we saw something and at the same time heard something that sounded like a gun shot!


There were two needle fish chaseing eachother through the water, jumping out of the water, back in, out, and in again. Each time they exited the water to fly through the air, it sounded like a gun going off.


It happened so quickly, and was so near us that I was shook up for a minute. But at the same time I was so AMAZED and excited that we had seen this so up close. But, I was glad I wasn't any closer!


We stopped by Wailea Beach to rinse off and watch the sun go down.





We loved Wailea Beach.




We were sad that this was our last sunset on the island.



When we left for our studio, we really wished we were going home that night. It had been such a great day and our vacation was feeling over.


We went home and I packed. I inherited my packing skills from my father, and I can fit a lot into a small space. So I went to work.


While I was standing over the suitcase maneuvering items into corners, I suddenly realized I was unconsciously swaying back and forth. If unchecked the swaying would get more and more and more pronounced. Those 4-hours in the ocean had a lasting effect!

This was another day that topped my "favorites" list.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I got confused about the turtle experience when we last talked . . . I hadn't yet read about the gun sound. Crazy!

Joellen said...

Sounds like your trip was Fab! Really enjoyed ready about it and seeing all your pictures, so it took me so long.