Saturday, May 24, 2008

DAY 12

Our last day on the island we loaded everything into the car and drove to Lahaina.

I had to take a picture of this Burger King in Kahului as a reminder of the obsession with Spam on Maui.



It was a cloudy day, and rained quite a bit.



We made it to Lahaina during delivery time, so I took a picture of the Odwalla delivery truck. I love Odwalla.



We grabbed breakfast at the Pioneer Inn.



And drove Front Street. This guy owned a vintage car and had a taxi service out of it. We caught him taking a morning nap.



This was the shop at Bubba Gump's. I really wanted to buy the orange shirt for my brother-in-law Justin. It says, "My Momma Says I'm Special". You'd have to know Justin. :)



Took a few more flower pictures. They're just so beautiful!



By afternoon we made our way to the Kihei/Wailea area. We tried to take a swim, but it was just too cloudy, wet, and windy. We walked around the shops in Wailea. Considered buying a $57,000.00 Rolex (yeah, right) and then went to Da Kitchen for lunch. Definately a favorite place of ours. We tried poi this visit. Sorry, but yuck.



Then we drove up to the Iao Needle on West Maui. It was misty.



Here is a picture of the needle.



And a picture looking down the canyon to Kahului from the needle.



It was a pretty interesting place.



And a cool waterfall.



And a little taro garden to make yummy poi. (gag.)



We stopped at a gas station on our way out of the Iao Needle Valley and washed our car, vacuumed out all the sand and got everything put back neatly into our bags.

We checked out a couple of the windsurfing beaches on the north of Maui and then went into Costco to kill some time before our flight.

How unfortunate for you that this is the last picture I took on our trip.



You don't get to see the patterned green carpet on the floor of the airport that I sat on while playing a game of kings corners or rummy to pass the time.

You miss out on seeing the red dot on the ceiling that I stared at until my eyes watered trying to make myself fall asleep.

You don't know about the orange juice that was passed around about an hour before landing that called me back to sanity.

You won't see my disappointment in having to put a jacket on before exiting the SLC airport for the drive home.

And last you won't see how we ended our vacation by going to sleep at 9am, only to both dream that we were back in Maui! And then we woke up.

1 comment:

Sandstone Writings said...

It has been wonderful to take a virtual tour of your trip!