Monday, May 19, 2008

DAY 7

Day 7 . . . Happy Birthday Dallas! We had already sent his card with Robert's.
We had leftovers for breakfast and we planned to go snorkeling in South Maui.



After we got out the door we looked at West Maui, where we weren't going.



And South Maui where we were going.



Lucky us, since the trade winds had died down to ZERO. The VOG, or Volcanic Fog from the big island had drifted up to Maui, but it wasn't blowing out.

We saw on the news that they had to close the park on the big island because the levels of sulfur in the air was toxic.

So, we drove up by Wailuku ... we found an LDS church, which sadly isn't close to as pretty as the other churches we've seen.



And we drove by this interesting fence, that you could only get away with in Maui.



And we drove by a fire on the mountain that they were putting out.



And we drove down the south side of West Maui and saw the cruise ship in the area.



And we drove into Lahaina and saw continued proof that there are too many Mustangs on the island.



And I had to get a picture of the cute telephone booth. We don't have them that pretty in Utah.



And we drove down Front Street.



And back up Front Street ... check out the guy on the bicycle with the parrot on his handlebars. I thought only kids rode up there!



And we saw that there was going to be a birthday party this upcoming weekend.



And we saw the Sugarcane Train.



We stopped at Kahekili Beach Park to swim and snorkel. Yes, I finally did snorkel here! There was a lot of coral and fish. It was pretty fun and I was getting more comfortable in the water.



We drove to Ka'anapali and ate lunch at Honokowai Okazuya Deli. Another local-type place that was really good. My favorite sight was people riding a bike holding their surfboard. I didn't ever get a picture of that! This was the closest that I got.



We never ate at Pupu Lounge in Kihei, but their "Got pupu?" t-shirts made me laugh. Of course I didn't know this until our trip, but pupu means appetizer or snack.



We then drove down to South Maui and shopped at the swap meet in Kihei. We got offered Maui Wowie! And then drove down to Kihei Kalama village and did some souvenir shopping before going to Ulua Beach for a swim/snorkel. We had a little visit from some ferel cats before heading to the beach. There are also a lot of wandering cats on Maui!



It was fun to swim/snorkel here, but Ulua beach got the best of me. When we were done and I was exiting the water, a big wave pinned me against the beach geysered sand all up my swimming suit. It was a very ridiculous sight, and I can still hear Matt laughing. Wow, that sand can stick!

This sign at Ulua beach makes me laugh.



The sunset was ugly with the VOG, so we went back to Haiku and ate leftovers for dinner. Stay tuned to find out if the VOG blows out on Day 8 ...

1 comment:

Heather said...

You have seriously done an amazing job at capturing the huge and cool other parts of your trip. Sorry, about the sand. Yuck.

P.S. I sort of read this backwards and in your other post I was thinking you meant "voice of god" for VOG, which in the producer world is the big booming announcer voice. I was thinking that HI was bringing you closer to God and instead of the still, small voice, you were getting a VOG. Heehee.