Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Mukluk & Oatmeal

I wore my cute fuzzy brown shoes to work today. A friend of mine told me if it snowed, I wouldn't be too happy walking to my car with cold, wet feet. My shoes are open in the back, but it didn't snow today so all was well.

On my way out to the car in the evening, I was laughing to myself as I thought about my shoes and Matt.

A few months back, near the time when I bought these shoes, he started calling them mukluks. I had no idea what he was talking about, but he briefly explained that my shoes looked like they were made from "baby seal fur". I admit I was a little irritated. Where did this come from!?!?! I still don't know, but it stuck with him.

Whenever I wore these shoes, he would call me Mukluk, not just referring to the shoes. And now he just calls me Mukluk, shoes or no.

A month or so back, Matt began wearing a wool sweater that he bought on sale during a business trip to Boise. He bought it as a Christmas gift for someone, decided he liked it, started wearing it, and .... it became his. I teased him a bit at first that he was a gift-stealer.

As he kept calling me Mukluk, I picked up on the the funny name that was on the tag of the sweater. The manufacturer named the wool sweater, for the color of the fabric, as oatmeal.

Each time Matt called me Mukluk, I called him Oatmeal. Silly enough, I've warmed to my nickname. I'm not sure if he's as fond of Oatmeal.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Awesome story! I love how you explain that you have warmed up to the name, Mukluk. Too cute!

P.S. I love your slideshow!

Sandstone Writings said...

You have such a gift for writing and storytelling. How fun! Isn't it neat to tease with your husband? I love to make Art laugh--and I laughed at your post! Delightful!