Monday, January 28, 2008

Prophets

So, I was pretty surprised when my mom called last night to tell me President Hinckley had passed away. She heard it from my sister-in-law Debbie. I checked the internet and we turned on the TV, but we couldn't find anything. This was at 8:03pm. By 8:30pm they had interrupted TV with the breaking news, and things started popping up on the internet. It's amazing that the church has an internal "Call Tree" that works quicker and more effective than the internet and TV in passing news.

I started thinking last night about Prophets. I remember President Kimball. I remember the comparisons to Yoda. And I remember being in the portable at East Midvale Elementary school in the 5th grade the day I learned he had died. I was devastated. I didn't understand the workings of the church, and didn't understand what that would mean for me. It was scary.

I remember very well President Benson's voice when he would speak. I don't remember as well when he passed away. But, I wasn't scared this time.

I remember President Hunter and always associated him with the Bountiful Temple. I remember thinking/feeling that he must be the kindest man on earth. He always spoke so gently. I remember how surprised I was at his passing, because he was the prophet for such a short time.

President Hinckley was so easy to accept moving into the position as Prophet because it seemed like he had always been there! 13 years doesn't seem very long, but it's longer than I've been married. That's actually amazing to me! I tried to think back to 1995 to remember who I was and what I was thinking, and it was very hard.

It makes me sad that he is gone, but I can't help but think over and over that now he's with his "dream girl" again. It gives me the same feeling as when I knew that Elder Haight and his wonderful Ruby were once again reunited. I'm glad that there are some very happy endings in being parted.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I like reading about your reflections on the prophets. I'm sad about President Hinckley, too, but am grateful for the beautiful plan for eternal families. Thanks for your great insight!

Sandstone Writings said...

What a lovely tribute. It has been hard losing him to this life.