Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Reunion

The Spice Girls are doing a reunion tour! Why not ....


The New Kids on the Block?


Ha, ha ... First of all, I have to laugh because I found this rumor on one of my Bollywood gossip sites! I find it very interesting that the Indians would be gossiping about a New Kids on the Block reunion.

Secondly, I laugh because, and I quote from the article, "the members of the group, who broke up in 1994, are ditching their respective professions to make a comeback in the music industry". Last I heard their respective professions were: Donnie; actor, Jonathan; real estate, Jordan & Joey; musicians, and Danny; disappeared into oblivion, or on a cable reality show, I can't remember which ...

Okay, let me back up and say that I was a big New Kids fan. My friend Nikki got me started sometime in Junior High. I liked Donnie best; he was the bad boy. My friend Nikki liked little squeeky Joey-Joe. My friend Tamara obsessed over Jordan and his LONG braid. My best friend Heather wouldn't have anything to do with them; she liked Bobby Brown. But, she was still so kind to record things about them off of cable for me to watch since we didn't have cable at my house.

I spent one summer with my friend Tamara marking a map of Massachusetts after reading information and looking through pictures in Bop, Teen Scene, etc. We were trying to find out where they lived of course! I have to make it clear that it was her idea. I guess you could call her a HUGE fan, compared to me being a big fan. She actually spend over $100 calling information and phoning different houses in the Dorchester area. She swore to me at the time that she actually did talk to Jordan on the phone.

Confession time. We were also in a creative writing class in school at the time, and our creative writing took a turn to the romantic side. Tamara would write Charnae/Donnie stories and I would write Tamara/Jordan stories and we would pass them like notes in class. "To be continued ...."

Ha, ha!

I even have a "scrapbook" of sorts that I made. Yes, I still have it. My sister-in-law Tara married into the family in 2000. Eventually we found out that we both shared a previous love of Animaniacs and Donnie from New Kids. So, I pulled out the book for a good laugh!

All things come to an end .... good or bad. High school was almost here and I was done with the boys ... NKOTB as they were being called by then. Tamara begged that I would go with her to their concert; they were finally coming to Utah! So, I agreed, as a sort of last hoorah! A couple days before, Tamara decided not to go. I guess she finally decided she was over them as well, but I was stuck with a $30 ticket that I had paid for; in the nosebleeds, no less! After some begging, I got Bobby-Brown-loving-Heather to come with me.

We listened to the little white pins on the black canvas singing their songs. And we watched the 8-year-old girls in front of us scream and pretend to faint. And we thought they were so juvenile since we were 11 & 13.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Oh my gosh! I love this post! What a trek down memory lane. I love the image of the little white pins on the black canvas . . . you are an awesome writer!

P.S. I was honored to go to NKOTB with you! :-)