Monday, February 11, 2008

Sevier County

Growing up, I spent a lot of time in the Sevier County area of Utah. My dad grew up in Koosharem, Utah and my mom in Richfield, Utah. A couple times a year we would head down there to spend time with aunts, uncles, cousins, and especially my Grandma!

After awhile, my horizons expanded and I started making other friends in Richfield. My Richfield BFF was Jami. Visits to Richfield during 1992 and 1993 involved hanging out at her house a lot! And usually trying to find a way to leave her house and visit other people using transportation such as a four-wheeler or tractor since we didn't have a car!

One of our adventures landed me in the Richfield Hospital emergency room with gravel and rocks embedded in my feet and a lot of road rash. This is a picture of me at a family reunion in July 1992 about12-hours after being in the hospital. You can't see in this picture, but both of my feet are wrapped in white gauze. I spent the entire day in that chair, and was pretty much carried to and from it when we came and went. Don't you love my 90's hair bow? My Guess tank top?



I was pretty excited the other day after a brief internet search (I'm never this lucky) to find Jami's email address! I love the internet! I haven't spoken with her in around 10-years. I'm so excited to find out what she's been doing. HI JAMI!!!!!

Summer family reunions were such a huge part of my yearly ritual growing up. Here are some pictures of me on happier reunion occassions.

December 1978: Only reunion not in the summer...but, we were in St. George. This is one of my favorite pictures of myself, which is why I have it on my blog profile. Look at my fabulous Cindy Crawford type mole. Oooo-la-la! It goes wonderfully with my pink punch mustache.


July 1984: My cousin Jannie and I in Salina, Utah.


July 1988: My cousins Jamie and Tammy and I at "Bob's Cabin" on "Mary's Nipple" east of Salina, Utah. Let me state right now that I didn't make up these names! That's really what they called them.


July 1991: Me and my nephew Justin in Castlerock Campgrounds south of Monroe, Utah. I still have my dog tags! Which have my maiden name and state that I am a "Gemini".


July 1994: My cousin Roxanne & brother Robert in Castlerock Campgrounds south of Monroe, Utah. Look - I have my Rhythm Sticks! I still have those, but they're not as sticky as they used to be (ie. they're getting old and are a little harder to use) ... and I'm drinkin' the Country Time!


July 1996: Matt's first year coming to the reunion! This was at my Uncle Stan's in Richfield. I loved my Code Bleu shirts. Speaking of shirts ... Matt's wearing one of mine!


July 1996: My BFF Heather & BFF Matt at my Uncle Stan's in Richfield. Weren't water-weenies great? Until they broke. A couple other details from this picture .... that's my Brazilian Eye necklace that was supposed to ward off evil spirits. I would always tease people that since they were still around it obviously didn't work. Ouch - not nice of me! On my left wrist is my yearbook staff gift. A watch with our theme ... "The Power of One". Around my waist is my favorite-ever sweater. I still have it! It has so many holes in it, so I only wear it on special occasions. That's what happens when you sit on sweaters more than you wear them.

2 comments:

My Unruly Mind said...

So fun to vicariously review with you all those years. Neat to see your grandma again. Like everybody else, I love her! And miss seeing her. What fun photos!

Heather said...

How exciting that you found your friend! I LOVE technology. And the photos (and your awesome commentary) are the best. Thanks for always making me feel so included! Love ya!